Why is "Mold Assessment/Testing" so confusing?
1) There is no "standardized service" for what is called "mold testing". Different companies use different terms and information. Furthermore, there are currently no EPA, state or federal "mold limits" that have been set for mold or mold spores, so sampling result opinions can vary.
2) There are "mold cleaning companies" out there that will offer to do inexpensive, or even free, so called "mold testing or assessments". We find that these types of, "mold tests" can sometimes be very misleading to a homeowner/buyer and may be just "looking for business". In fact what many of these company's are doing is just looking for "mold cleaning work".
3) "Test results and analysis", can vary greatly between people doing the testing, test methods and even labs . *Note that in most cases it is not important to "identify" the type of mold present, (its usually just not needed). Keep in mind however, elevated mold indoors can be a serious problem. No mold is good for you, so getting rid of it and the moisture issues is the overall objective.
What "Mold Testing" services do I offer?
"Mold Assessment": This is the most requested service in a real estate transaction and usually done with a standard "Home Inspection". This type of "mold assessment" will include a full visual check of the home in all accessible locations. This includes but not limited too: attics, general living spaces, bathrooms, kitchens, basements, crawl space areas, etc. I will also include reporting of conditions that are favorable or relevant to possible mold growth and recommendations of actions for the homeowner to take.
**This service does not include; "mold samples, air or surface samples, or any "mold analysis".
"Limited Mold Testing": Limited mold testing can be done when there is "visible suspect mold" present to determine; 1) If it in fact there is mold present, and/or 2) What type of mold it may be. These "limited mold tests" can be added to a "Mold Assessment" or with any "General Home Inspection" when suspect mold is present. If done in conjuction with a "Mold Assessment" a full report & and separate mold lab analysis will be done. If done as part of a general "Home inspection", there will be a "lab provided mold report" only."
"Full Mold Testing". This includes a full assessment, including indoor and outdoor mold test samples, and may also include other surface sampling. ( It may also be done "after mold cleaning" has been done to verify that cleaning was done properly, successfully.
I'm "trained / certified" to do many mold related services. I can perform the following:
1. A "Mold Assessment" (commonly done for a real estate transaction),
2. A "Limited Mold Test" (when suspect mold is found), or
3. "Full Mold Testing" ( rarely done, but, people with "mold related health issues" may need to fully identify mold, per a doctors request, or just for their own reasons. It includes interior & exterior air sampling / testing).
Note: Not all inspectors are "mold certified".
Mold Assessment & Testing Fees
Mold Assessment - $70.00 & Up
( based on square footage)
Limited Mold Testing - (Price varies based on number of tests done per area)
Full Mold Testing - (Price varies based on square footage, indoor/outdoor air samples and other surface samples( duct work, drywall, carpet)